Sunday, October 23, 2011

For me, being a gem-cutter, who then creates his own jewelry, jewelry is an art form, not merely a fashion accessory.

Art, to me, should be something that stimulates an emotion. The art form can be the one I once practiced (music) or the one I now practice or any other form of art. I realize this is not a position all artists take, and I respect them, but to me, it is all about emotion.

As a musician, I knew how to inspire happiness or sadness with a few notes. I could create pride, nostalgic melancholy, or any number of things, with my tenor sax or my clarinet, and did, with joy. We would play Louie Louie and people smiled. We could play Kansas City, and people would just swing and smile. That to me is what music was about.

As a gem-cutter/jeweler, I endeavor to create happy thoughts. It has been scientifically proven that color can make all the difference in someones attitude. From blue to green to anything you might imagine, color can create moods. As can shapes, symbols, and all kinds of visual things do the same thing.

As a result, the jewelry of RavishingGems is big on color and small on the use of metal. This is in no way to denigrate the wonderful silver platinum, and gold jewelry that I have seen, it just isn't what I am about.

Another art form is writing. They always tell writer to write about what they know. My jewelry collections are about what I know. I am the assistant director of wine for a large wine tasting. Therefore, an ongoing part of my collection is the wine lovers collection. Recently I took a hot air balloon ride. Therefore the balloon collection.

Shortly, I will begin releasing pictures of them (I have to make more than I have been selling) and will display them at RavishingGems a site I have sorely neglected. Between cutting and creating, my website reflects my past more than my current view. 

Well, for now, I would love to see from you, what colors you like, what symbols make you feel good  or any other thoughts you might have about jewelry.


No comments:

Post a Comment